Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Yay, Freecycle!
Unpacking seems to be a series of endless physical efforts punctuated by moments of 'Why did I bring this?!' retroactive self-anger. We have too much stuff, and we brought many things that we should have ditched. Three trips to Goodwill just wasn't enough.
For example, we've had this damn toaster oven for ten years and I've hated it the whole time. It's impossible to get clean, because if I scrub hard the paint starts to come off. As a result it's been splattered and spotted with STUFF. Plus a bread bag got too close to it at one point and interesting colored decorations got left on the hitherto transparent door.
The perfect time to ditch the toaster oven one way or another is BEFORE you move across the country, right? But it WORKED. So I couldn't get rid of it.
Fuck that, we decided last night at Target. We got a brand new toaster oven. It's black and shiny and clean/cleanable and it only cost $50.00. I never have to use the old toaster oven ever again.
But what to do with it? A functioning toaster oven must have a place in this world. Thanks to Seattle Freecycle, my toaster oven has found its place with Bill. I don't know Bill. But he needed a toaster oven.
What is freecycle? It's like recycling, but free. There are a large number of subscribers on a list. People post things they have and don't need anymore: OFFERED; or want but don't have: WANTED. Thus someone who has a toaster oven but doesn't want it comes to a meeting of minds with someone who wants a toaster oven but doesn't have it. The only catch is that you have to go pick it up.
Thank you Bill, for stopping by my house and taking my toaster oven away with you. Be kind to it. It's endured a lot of scorn. It deserves a better life.
For example, we've had this damn toaster oven for ten years and I've hated it the whole time. It's impossible to get clean, because if I scrub hard the paint starts to come off. As a result it's been splattered and spotted with STUFF. Plus a bread bag got too close to it at one point and interesting colored decorations got left on the hitherto transparent door.
The perfect time to ditch the toaster oven one way or another is BEFORE you move across the country, right? But it WORKED. So I couldn't get rid of it.
Fuck that, we decided last night at Target. We got a brand new toaster oven. It's black and shiny and clean/cleanable and it only cost $50.00. I never have to use the old toaster oven ever again.
But what to do with it? A functioning toaster oven must have a place in this world. Thanks to Seattle Freecycle, my toaster oven has found its place with Bill. I don't know Bill. But he needed a toaster oven.
What is freecycle? It's like recycling, but free. There are a large number of subscribers on a list. People post things they have and don't need anymore: OFFERED; or want but don't have: WANTED. Thus someone who has a toaster oven but doesn't want it comes to a meeting of minds with someone who wants a toaster oven but doesn't have it. The only catch is that you have to go pick it up.
Thank you Bill, for stopping by my house and taking my toaster oven away with you. Be kind to it. It's endured a lot of scorn. It deserves a better life.
